Former Deputy Governor of Sokoto State, Mukhtar Shagari, has dismissed claims that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, was pressured into withdrawing from the 2027 political process, insisting that the governor made the decision voluntarily.
Speaking during an interview on Arise TV on Thursday, Shagari said Fubara acted based on personal conviction after consulting widely with associates and political allies.
According to him, the Rivers governor never suggested that any individual or political group compelled him to step aside from future electoral activities.
Shagari described Fubara as a mature and educated leader who understands his constitutional rights and should be allowed to make personal political decisions without controversy.
He stated that the governor had already clarified that his decision followed consultations and that he remained committed to his political platform despite opting out of the 2027 process.
“He stated that the decision came after consultations and that he remains committed to his political affiliation. He has also not suggested that anyone forced or influenced his choice,” Shagari said during the interview.
The former deputy governor further argued that every Nigerian has the democratic right either to participate actively in politics or stay away from it.
“Governor Fubara is a mature and well-educated leader who, like every Nigerian, has the right to participate in the democratic process or choose not to,” he said.
Shagari added that Fubara’s position should be respected rather than subjected to speculation.
“He has made his decision not to take part in the 2027 political process, and that choice should be respected. Ultimately, it is a personal decision, and it should be treated as such without unnecessary speculation,” he added.

















