The World Health Organization has raised the public health risk level of the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo from high to very high at the national level following a rapid spread of infections across parts of the country.
WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, announced the revised assessment on Friday, warning that the outbreak was escalating quickly.
“The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is spreading rapidly,” Tedros told reporters. “We are now revising our risk assessment to very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at the global level.”
According to the WHO, 82 confirmed Ebola cases, including seven deaths, have so far been recorded in the country. However, health officials believe the real scale of the outbreak is significantly higher.
“But we know the epidemic in DRC is much larger. There are now almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths,” Tedros added.
The WHO chief noted that the situation in neighbouring Uganda remained stable despite two confirmed Ebola cases linked to travellers arriving from the DRC, including one fatality.
Authorities say insecurity and violence in affected communities are complicating efforts to contain the disease. In Ituri province, considered the epicentre of the outbreak, angry residents reportedly attacked Rwampara hospital and set fire to tents used to isolate Ebola patients.
The unrest followed the death of a 24-year-old man believed to be the son of a soldier. Hospital officials said tensions escalated after family members demanded custody of the body for burial rites.
“The family wanted us to hand over his body so that they can bury him, but given the circumstances, that’s impossible,” a hospital official said.
Health experts say strict burial measures are necessary because Ebola spreads through bodily fluids and prolonged physical contact. Officials disclosed that the outbreak is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain of the virus, for which there is currently no approved vaccine or treatment.
As a result, authorities are relying on isolation procedures, rapid contact tracing and safe burials to slow transmission.
A local civil society leader, Jean Marie Ezadri, warned that traditional mourning practices were contributing to the spread of infections.
“Loved ones are throwing themselves at the bodies, touching the corpses and the clothes of the deceased, while organising mourning rituals bringing together loads of people,” Ezadri said.
“Unfortunately, this is going on even during this epidemic, which explains the many instances of contamination.”
Some residents have also expressed doubts about the existence of Ebola, worsening tensions between communities and health officials.
“My brother is not dead from Ebola, it’s an imaginary disease,” 22-year-old Jeremie Arwampara said after losing his sibling.
Another mourner, Ezekiel Shambuyi, protested outside the hospital, saying, “Why are they refusing to give us the bodies? He’s my big brother, I cannot be afraid of him.”
Security forces later dispersed the crowd after soldiers fired warning shots into the air, while a nurse was reportedly injured by stones thrown during the unrest.
Healthcare workers wearing full protective gear were later seen transporting three coffins to a cemetery under armed escort from soldiers and police officers.
One mourner, Musa Amuri, lamented the restrictions surrounding his father’s burial.
“They’re going to bury our father without us seeing him, it breaks my heart,” he said.
Another resident, Maman Leonie, rejected the Ebola diagnosis after her brother’s death, pleading with authorities for assistance.
“He was just sick, let the government come to our aid!” she said.
The latest outbreak has renewed concerns over weak healthcare infrastructure in rural parts of Ituri, where communities have long complained of poor government presence and repeated attacks by armed groups.
Hospital officials in the mining town of Mongbwalu said public awareness about the disease had improved in recent days, but warned that health facilities remained dangerously overstretched.
“Suspected cases are mixed in with other patients in the hospital wards, with a high risk of infection,” one hospital official warned.















