The Former Vice President and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has declared that the 2027 presidential election will be his final attempt to become President of Nigeria.
Atiku made the declaration on Thursday during a Facebook Live session, where he said his decision would remain unchanged regardless of whether he wins or loses the election.
The former Vice President, who has previously contested the presidency several times, said he would not seek the office again after the 2027 election.
«“Whether I win or lose, 2027 will be my last time contesting for the presidency,” Atiku said.»
Atiku also revisited his allegations concerning President Bola Tinubu’s academic credentials, maintaining his position that there were issues surrounding the President’s certificates.
According to him, he was the person who initially raised the matter and remained convinced that forgery had occurred.
«“I was the one who raised the issue surrounding President Bola Tinubu’s academic certificates, and I stand by my position that there was forgery,” he stated.»
The ADC candidate further argued that questions surrounding the academic qualifications of Nigeria’s President were unacceptable.
«“It is unacceptable for the President of Nigeria to have such questions surrounding his academic credentials,” Atiku said.»
Atiku Promises To Restore Fuel Subsidy
The former Vice President has also promised to restore the petrol subsidy if elected President in 2027.
Atiku made the pledge while responding to questions in an interview circulating on social media.
He criticised the economic consequences of the subsidy removal under President Tinubu, arguing that Nigerians had not seen sufficient benefits from the policy.
Tinubu announced the removal of the petrol subsidy in May 2023, shortly after assuming office. The decision was followed by a sharp increase in petrol prices, with higher transportation costs contributing to increases in the prices of food and other essential goods.
While the Federal Government has defended the policy, arguing that subsidy removal has freed up resources for the three tiers of government and enabled increased spending on infrastructure and other programmes, Atiku questioned how the savings had been utilised.
The former Vice President said he had not initially opposed subsidy removal but changed his position after assessing its impact on Nigerians.
With the 2027 election approaching, Atiku’s declaration that the contest will be his final presidential bid adds another significant dimension to the opposition’s efforts to challenge Tinubu’s administration.

















